Friday 14 February 2014

Recipe | Italian Lentil & Bean Stew

This recipe isn't Italian at all, well it might be but I made it up as I went along and the only time I have been to Italy I was ten years old and I went with my dad to collect something and we got arrested for doing a u-turn and I got locked in an office while dad was made to go to a cash point to withdraw cash for a fine... think this was in Rome? I will ask him. Anyway, we ate junk food from a petrol station and got the hell out of there so when I see Jamie Oliver cooking up Italian feasts I create Italian inspired food in my brain and it comes out in recipes like this. Tangent? Yep. Here is the recipe.

You will need:

A Large Saucepan
Olive Oil
2 Onions
3 Garlic Cloves
Chunk of Root Ginger

1 Courgette
2 Peppers
2 Sweet Potatoes

3 Vegetable Stock Cubes
1 Pint of Boiling Water

1 Tin of Tomatoes
4 Tablespoons of Tomato Puree

1 Tin Cannellini Beans
100g Red Lentils

2 Tablespoons of Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper

This recipe makes enough for 10 generous servings.


Dried Oregano, Vegetable Stock Cube & Garlic Cloves.

Cannellini Beans, Red Lentils, Sweet Potato, Ginger, Courgette, Red & Orange Pepper.

Diced Courgette & Red Pepper

Red Lentils, Ginger & Sweet Potato

Cannellini Beans

34p Tesco Tinned Plum Tomatoes

At 34p for 6 large plum tomatoes, I think this tin is great value.

Roughly chop the tomatoes (or squish them in your hands & throw them in the pot)

Sweat the chopped onion in Olive Oil

Add the Courgettes & Peppers
Soften the veg and brown the mixture slightly.

Add the grated Ginger.

Add the stock, tinned tomatoes, red lentils & cannellini beans.

Stir well and simmer for an hour.

Leave on a very low heat for as long as you can, 1 hour or longer.