Sunday 2 March 2014

Baking | Dorset Cereals Berries & Cherries Flapjack



I love flapjacks with lots of lovely ingredients but it isn't practical to buy six 250g bags of different types of dried fruit to use a few grams of each. As a lover of the Dorset Cereals Muesli I had a few varieties in my cupboard so I used it to make a flapjack to see what would happen.

This muesli made up of 50% fruit and contains cranberries, blueberries, cherries, blackcurrants, raspberries, sultanas and raisins as well as oat, wheat and barley flakes so I was pretty confident it would work well.

I used a tin which had a loose bottom, I don't recommend this as the melted butter leaks through onto the bottom of your oven and burns, but I wanted to use the long and fluted shaped tin to make the flapjack prettier as it was a present so I slid a tray on the bottom of the oven to catch the goo.

Flapjack. Such an odd word. 

You will see in the recipe, that you can choose to add more or less butter depending on whether you prefer a chewy or crunchy flapjack, more butter equals a chewier finish (Delia's idea not mine so I can't take credit!) I used less butter but it was perfect for my taste; chewy in the middle with slightly crisp, crunchy edges. I turned the oven up at the end for 10 minutes to create this finish.

I zapped it in 20 minute intervals for 1 minute in total. You can do this in a saucepan if you prefer.
Stir in the porridge oats and the Dorset Cereal, mixing thoroughly. 
Spoon the mix into your tin and press it out evenly, make sure you reach the corners using the back of a metal spoon.
Bake on the middle shelf for 45 minutes, Gas Mark 2.
Leave them in the tin until they’re completely cold before removing them to store in an airtight tin. It will last a week or so in terms of expiration but it was so delicious it was eaten within a day or two.

Ingredients
               
200g Porridge Oats
225g Butter (chewy) or 275g Butter (crunchy)
2 Tbs Golden Syrup
150g Soft Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon   

First place the sugar, butter and golden syrup together in a bowl and heat it gently in the microwave until the butter has melted, giving it a stir now and then. 


The Berries & Cherries Muesli contains 50% fruit. The cranberries, blueberries, cherries, blackcurrants, raspberries, sultanas and raisins plump up and absorb the butter and sugar. 


I like a chewy, crunchy finish so I whacked the oven up to Gas Mark 4 for the final 10 minutes. It singes the corners and caught the edges slightly.

Allow the mixture to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting.